Monday, June 11, 2007

My Thoughts on the final Sopranos episode...

If you haven't seen it yet, I'm about to ruin it for you. I was a little hyped about seeing what was going to happen but it was a little bittersweet because the show that had encompassed what I did on Sunday nights was now over (I've still got Entourage and I'm digging the new John from Cincinnati - more on that later). So my dad was in one of his weird moods where he wants to know who the singer is of each song that he heard on the show. So that ended up being our running joke of the night, making fun of my dad.

But anyway back to the Sopranos. While alot of people are complaining about how it was one of the worst endings of a show ever, I found it to be pretty comical. David Chase spent the final minutes of the show, setting up what looked to be a big bang ending with Tony finally getting whacked, but instead the screen just went to black before we found out what happened. When it first went to black, everyone in my family thought that it was the HD signal, but when the credits came up shortly after that, you could feel everyone's disgust, with me being the exception. It's awesome that David Chase ended it like that. It was the biggest pie-in-the-face that we could have gotten as viewers. I was reminded of some of the stunts that Andy Kaufmann used to pull off. COMEDY GOLD. But in regards to some of the closures that came about with this being the final episode: I think Phil Leotardo finally got what was coming to him with him getting whacked. And the icing on the cake was when his car ran over his head with his grandchildren still in the car in their carseats. AJ's character is one of the worst human beings (if he were real, but I'm sure there is someone out there just like him) that I've ever encountered. He was well informed about any of the realities of the world that he was complaining about and it was amazing how quickly he went from depressed whiner back to his old self by just getting a cushy job with a movie production company. Why can't I get a job like that?? I also didn't understand why everyone kept visiting Junior. At this point, he doesn't know what's going on and I don't think anything was resolved or achieved by having that in the script.

All in all, The Sopranos was a groundbreaking show and highly entertaining over the past 8 years and I'm glad that I was able to enjoy it all this time. Thanks for the memories, Sopranos, and thanks for showing me how many different ways a person can be killed. I still think my all-time favorite, even though the guy didn't die, was when Tony curbed the guy on Phil's crew who made some crude comments to Meadow. FUCK YEAH, KISS THE CURB...

Immediately following The Sopranos was the debut of John from Cincinnati. I was intrigued to watch it because it was from the guy who did NYPD BLUE and Deadwood and also because we had been doing some subliminal advertising of the show on MGK. The first episode was pretty out there, but I was immediately drawn into it and I highly recommend it to everyone. The highlight of the show so far has to be crazy Vietnam Vet played by Ed O'Neill. Very reminiscent of the chracter he played in Wayne's World, except he's more caring and less vengeful. CLASSIC

1 comment:

M said...

i didnt see john from cinc but it looks good...

the sopranos ending was awesome