Sunday, May 20, 2007

My weekend was pretty weak... how was yours?

So this was the weekend from hell with me working every day this week and it just seemed to get worse as the weekend went on.

Thursday night started off pretty good out celebrating Sean's graduation out at magee's and durty nelly's. Problem was that I didn't go to bed until really late and then I had to get up early to spend five hours at a bar while I had a nice hangover going. Can't beat that. And after work, my issues with Riggins Gas station began to develop. On the way back from the Hometown B-Cast, we filled up the MGK van with gas at Riggins, where Greater Media has an account. This was at about 8PM and they don't usually close until about 9. Once we got back to the station, I decided to take the MGK Jeep home because it would save me some time / gas by having everything packed and ready to go for my event Saturday morning. Because we had to drive out to fucking Hershey on Saturday morning, I needed to gas up the Jeep and to save time I was going to do it Friday night. But when I got to the gas station at 8:30ish, the fucking guy that worked there came out to tell me they were closed because they were out of gas. Now I knew the guy was just closing up to get out of there early so I decided to call his bluff and inform him that we had filled up the MGK van no more than 30 mins before that and there was no way they ran out of gas between then and now. I had caught the guy in his lie and now all he could say was, "I know, I know"... fucking asshole. So I just drove away and just headed home to hang out at TJ's for board game night, which I usually dominate (Cranium, Scene It, etc.)... Well that night I was off my game because I was still a tad hungover so I didn't win anything.... fucking beat.

Saturday brought a new day, but the same old shit. I had to drive an hour and half up to Hershey for a fucking event at a car show. And I had to get up early on top of that. Stopped at Riggins first, and surprise surprise, they had gas. So we drove the hour and half to Hershey and when we got there, it ended up that the organizers had thought we were coming Sunday and not Saturday so they had no space for us. So they set us up in the fucking parking lot away from the exposure we would have gotten if we had been in the car show. And on top of that, I had to pay $8 for parking. And now it's going to take a couple of months to get reimbursed by the radio station. So the event went off without a problem, but then we had to deal with the long car ride home. By the time I got home, I was pretty beat and with the spector of having to wake up at 5:30AM on Sunday for two more events, I made the decision to stay in Saturday night. I instead hit up Best Buy and picked up two underappreciated comedies on DVD (High School High & Baseketball) and I finally gave in and bought the new Bayside which was fucking amazing. I've been listening to it nonstop and it's catchy as hell. Highly Recommended. Oh and my day was dampened even more when I got my GRE scores in the mail and I had score on average in each of sections of the test. Keeping in mind that I'm pretty full of myself and arrogant when it comes to my intelligence, that really put me in a bad mood. I was definitely bummed.

So because I actually went to bed early Saturday night, getting up at 5:30AM wasn't as bad as it has previously been and the two events I worked were successes. Marissa and I first worked a Bike Ride to benefit Diabetes research at CB South high school with Andre Gardner (who rode 15 miles) and we followed that up by hanging in the Willow Grove Mall for a couple of hours and then went to our next event at Carber's Chocolate & Smoochie's Water Ice with Ray Koob. Because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to common sense, I didn't bother to put any sunscreen on and I successfully burnt myself pretty good. And then there came my next battle with the fucking Riggins. We needed to fill up the Explorer on the way back from our events so I stopped at Riggins at about 3:30 in the afternoon. We pull up and we make eye contact with the guy that works events for WJJZ, our sister station. It looks like he just filled up. So I go the pump where he just was and wait for the Riggins guy to swipe the Greater Media credit card so I can fill up, only there isn't anyone in their little office. So I go up to the glass and start pounding on it, hoping that the guy is just in the bathroom and he'll come out to help a brother out. But, NOOOO, nobody's in their little office so I once again got screwed by fucking Riggins because I wasn't able to fill up the gas because nobody was there working during regular hours. GOD I HATE FUCKING RIGGINS.

So with the day taking a turn for the worst after the Riggins fiasco, I still had one saving grace in that I was going to see MXPX, my favorite band, at the Troc. The doors opened at 5 but I could give two shits about seeing the opening bands so I decided to arrive fashionably late at about 7:30. When I parked in my usual lot though, I noticed there were only about 5 cars in the whole lot. Usually on a concert night, this lot would be full, but 5 cars?! So I immediately made the assumption that show had been cancelled without me knowing. So I walked to the Troc and luckily the show was still on, but when I walked into the staging area, it became all clear to me. The Troc was only one quarters of the way full. MXPX can no longer draw the crowds that they used to draw back when I was seeing them in high school. I really felt bad for them. But they still put on an awesome show and I was able to sing along and get into all of their songs with the energetic crowd that was there. They ended up playing about an hour set, but I feel like they could have played a lot longer, since one of the opening bands didn't even show up to play. I think what hindered them from playing more songs was that they had a replacement drummer for Yuri, who was with his wive and new child, and the drummer didn't know all of the MXPX catalog. So I was a little disappointed yet again.

So this weekend was pretty beat. Hopefully next weekend will be the complete opposite. Otherwise I'll have more complaining to do...

2 comments:

M said...

The new Bayside is terrible. They all shoudl have died when their van crashed.

I don't know what Riggins is...but I do know I would PWN you in Cranium.

danmanband said...

Riggins is a gas station and I dominate at Cranium