Monday, February 18, 2008

A night on the town... The Red Sky Restaurant and Lounge...

So I took Maureen out for a post-Valentine's Day night on the town since I wasn't able to do anything on the actual Valentine's Day and we had a really good time.

The night started with some ice skating at the Blue Cross River Rink right as it was getting dark. With the Ben Franklin Bridge in the background, it was quite the place to be. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about some key accessories to ice skating on an outdoor rink. I had ankle socks on so I was getting some skin-to-skate contact which wasn't that bad and I had also forgotten to bring a pair of gloves. Maureen insisted on trying to give me her gloves but I couldn't have her hands going cold to make up for my stupidity. And it probably would have been a good idea to stretch before hand... But, other than those snafus, the ice skating was a lot of fun... and I didn't even make an ass out of myself and fall or anything like that. Also on a side note, the music selections for the skating were pretty out there. Apparently the guy programming the music was a fan of Jimmy Eat World and Duran Duran... he even went as far as to play what seemed like a 15 minute Jimmy Eat World song that just wouldn't end...haha

So after ice skating, we had worked up an appetite and I had made reservations at The Red Sky Restaurant & Lounge up on Market St in Olde City, which came highly recommended by Dusty who apparently had flirted with his waitress there and secured himself some free cocktails...typical Dusty. We had a little time to kill before the reservation, so we set up shop at the bar, which happened to have the Flyers game on TV, unluckily for Maureen. While, I'm not much of an adventurous drinker (I stuck to beer, although I did class it up with some Stella Artois's), Maureen enjoyed the specialty drinks the Red Sky had to offer, including the aptly named "Red Sky". She gave the specialty drinks rave reviews and I had a sip of each one she had and I'd second those reviews.

Once we were seated for dinner, I had my mind set on getting a steak, so I ordered the NY Strip Steak, which I must say, was probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. It was a nice cut of meat, and all the seasonings and dressing really brought out the taste... Maureen was a little more adventurous and ordered the Lamb (I don't remember specifically what it was called, possibly, Rack of Lamb) and she enjoyed that as well. I managed to have a bite of it and it was pretty interesting. For dessert, we shared a creme brulee which was simply amazing. Believe it or not, I had never had creme brulee before, so it was pretty eye opening.

So to sum up the Red Sky Lounge, it's your typical trendy Olde City restaurant atmosphere, but with excellent food and a pretty creative selection of mixed drinks. I'd highly recommend it.

I'll probably have more postings of my different food and dining experiences now that Maureen has been able expose me to foods and restaurants outside of Denny's and Tom Jones Restaurant...HAHA.

1 comment:

M said...

So did popped your creme brulee cherry? Slut.