Wednesday, May 7, 2008

TOP 5 MOST INFLUENTIAL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

I'm going to preface my TOP 5 MOST INFLUENTIAL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME list by saying that the choices of these albums were based on the following criteria: These albums shaped the way I listen to music today and the different genres that I listen to. A lot of them were stepping stones for me in these different genres. And I am able to put these albuma on and listen to them from start to finish and am not tempted to skip any of the songs whatsoever. These are the albums that made Dan who he is today in somewhat chronological order:

WEEZER - WEEZER (BLUE ALBUM)

This was the first CD ever in my possession, during the Christmas when I got a stereo with a CD player from Santa. It was also the first real rock album I owned, as I progressed from New Kids on the Block, to Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer, to Soul Asylum & the Hooters, to finally Weezer, the Offspring, and Green Day... Wow what a ride so far.


MXPX - SLOWLY GOING THE WAY OF THE BUFFALO

Aside from Blink 182 and Fenix Tx, this was the first pop-punk band that I really got into, during my high school years and they continue to hold the distinction of being my favorite band of all time. Finally, I was moving away from listening to music that was only being played on the radio.


SAVES THE DAY - THROUGH BEING COOL

When I first started working at CVS during my junior year of high school, my boy Clavin began exposing me to new bands like Alkaline Trio and Saves the Day. This album definitely put me on the path to where I am now musically.


THE GET UP KIDS - SOMETHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT

I still remember randomly coming upon this album at Best Buy after hearing about them on some message board. I bought it on a whim without having even heard any of their songs and they immediately became one of my favorite bands. They never put out an album that I didn't like and the band members' side projects like Reggie & the Full Effect and the New Amsterdams also became some of my favorites.


FROM AUTUMN TO ASHES - TOO BAD YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL

FATA was the first of what would be many bands I listened to from the metalcore / hardcore genre. It boggled my mind that they could from melodic singing to straight up screaming and angst. Mad props to TJ and Tristan for introducing me to this genre of music...

No comments: